Cooling Systems in Automobiles & Cars
Gogineni. Prudhvi1, Gada.Vinay2, G.Suresh Babu3
1Gogineni. Prudhvi, KL University, Guntur (A.P.), India.
2Gada.Vinay, KL University, Guntur (A.P.), India.
3G.Suresh Babu, KL University, Guntur (A.P.), India.
Manuscript received on March 02, 2013. | Revised Manuscript received on April 13, 2013. | Manuscript published on April 30, 2013. | PP: 688-695 | Volume-2, Issue-4, April 2013. | Retrieval Number: D1447042413/2013©BEIESP
Open Access | Ethics and Policies | Cite
© The Authors. Blue Eyes Intelligence Engineering and Sciences Publication (BEIESP). This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Abstract: Most internal combustion engines are fluid cooled using either air (a gaseous fluid) or a liquid coolant run through a heat exchanger (radiator) cooled by air. In air cooling system, heat is carried away by the air flowing over and around the cylinder. Here fins are cast on the cylinder head and cylinder barrel which provide additional conductive and radiating surface. In water-cooling system of cooling engines, the cylinder walls and heads are provided with jacket through which the cooling liquid can circulate. An internal combustion engine produces power byburning fuel within the cylinders; therefore, it is oftenreferred to as a “heat engine.” However, only about25% of the heat is converted to useful power. Whathappens to the remaining 75 percent? Thirty to thirtyfive percent of the heat produced in the combustionchambers by the burning fuel are dissipated by thecooling system along with the lubrication and fuelsystems. Forty to forty- five percent of the heatproduced passes out with the exhaust gases. If this heatwere not removed quickly, overheating and extensive damage would result. Valves would burn and warp, lubricating oil would break down, pistons and bearingwould overheat and seize, and the engine would soonstop. The necessity for cooling may be emphasized byconsidering the total heat developed by an ordinary six-cylinder engine.
Keywords: In Water-cooling System of Cooling Engines, Radiator, cylinder, “heat engine.”